The Kansas Neurological Institute began its existence as the Winter Veteran's Hospital, built in 1942 to house and care for World War II veterans. In 1959 the federal government relinquished the land and buildings of the Winter Veteran's Hospital to the state of Kansas so that a neurological facility could be established. After a year of renovation to the old hospital buildings, KNI opened its doors on January 5, 1960.
In 1966, a plan was drawn up to replace the old buildings with modern facilities. In 1981 the last of the new buildings, Wheatland, was completed.
KNI has been home to many people over the years, and has operated under several different philosophies of treatment. For the last 20 years, KNI has embraced a person-centered philosophy and way of doing business. We support the people who live at KNI so that they can have the quality of life they deserve by recognizing their individuality, honoring their choices, protecting and maintaining their health, helping to build and maintain their relationships with others, and making sure that they are included in every aspect of their lives: in their homes, in their jobs, and in the community.