CMS has developed a Unique ID system for SHIP counselors that lets them obtain information from 800-MEDICARE as well as some MA, MA-PD, and Part D plans when they're assisting beneficiaries with claims-related issues. Under the Unique ID system, SHIP Directors assign Unique ID numbers to SHIP counselors who have signed a confidentiality agreement and have been trained to appropriately handle private information relating to the beneficiaries they counsel.
Unique ID Requirements
- A counselor MUST BE A CERTIFIED SHICK COUNSELOR to get a Unique ID number.
- A counselor must be registered on the SHIPNPR.acl.gov website.
- The signed Confidentiality Agreement cannot be faxed. It must have an original signature.
- It may take 4 to 6 weeks for a Unique ID to become active because the list is only updated monthly.
Procedure for Obtaining a Unique ID
- If the counselor has not registered on the https://shipnpr.acl.gov website, he or she should follow the How to Register instructions on this website. (If the counselor has already registered, go to step two.)
- The counselor completes and signs a CONFIDENTIALITY AGREEMENT FOR RECEIPT OF UNIQUE ID and mails it to the SHICK Director at the address below.
Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services
503 South Kansas Avenue
Topeka, KS 66603
- If the counselor is mailing the Confidentiality Agreement the same day as requesting a Unique ID, we suggest contacting the State SHICK Office at 785-296-6319 that the Confidentiality Agreement has been mailed.
- The counselor logs in with their username and password. (Their username is their e-mail address.)
- Once logged in, click on "EditMyProfile" in the button bar. The link to request a CMS SHIP Unique ID is just above the Submit button. Click on the button to "Request Unique ID". The counselor will receive a message onscreen that their request has been successful.
- The SHICK Director will receive an e-mail that the counselor has requested a Unique ID number.
- After receiving the Confidentiality Agreement, the SHICK Director will assign a Unique ID number for the counselor through the SHIPNPR website.
- The Unique ID number is e-mailed to the counselor from ShipNPRHelp@technicalfrontiers.com.
- The counselor now has a Unique ID number, but he or she can’t use it yet.
- On the last Thursday of each month, SHIPNPR uploads the Unique ID list to CMS. Newly-created Unique IDs can’t be used until this monthly upload has added them to the CMS list.
- Within approximately two weeks of the upload, CMS updates the Unique ID lists at 1-800-MEDICARE and the Part D plans. CSRs will not recognize newly-created Unique IDs until they receive the monthly update from CMS.